The recipe below incorporates the Christmas symbol of snow and bakes up a scrumptious cookie (just like a Mexican wedding cookie). Visit Angie’s Christmas Symbols page to learn more about the symbolism and meaning of snow/snowflakes at Christmas. This recipe is also used in our “Sharing the Christmas Story with Food” project.
3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 cup butter (softened)
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
1. In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup powdered sugar, butter, and extracts until light and fluffy.
2. Stir in flour, salt, and pecans. Mix until dough forms.
3. Shape into 1 inch balls, and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Watch closely until set but not brown.
5. Remove from cookie sheet, cool slightly and roll in powdered sugar. Let cool completely, and roll again in powdered sugar.
Makes 4 dozen.